Grand Etan Rain Forest

Grand Etan Rain Forest

Men's National Team

Men's National Team
Men's 2010 National Volleyball Team

Friday, May 28, 2010

Wednesday May 26, 2010 Meeting and Men's National team

Sorry for the delay posting. My internet was down yesterday. Six weeks ago, this would have bothered me greatly and I would have been upset, rattled, and making calls and knocking on doors to get it fixed. After being in Grenada this long, I am much more relaxed, realize some things you can control and some you can't, and let it be. I'm not saying I've changed while here...but I hope. Also my kitchen light has been out for 4 days and my propane just went out in my stove...no cooking today. Pssssngt. I just tried to stroop. Ever tried to spell a sound????

The lifestyle suits me. It is calm, simple (not like simple-minded, but rather... not many complications), there is not as much focus on money or tangible goods, and I really enjoy the closeness/friendships of the people. It is a much different culture than what I am used to and the relationships between men and women are different, but variety is a spice. Living in Grenada as a man is like hanging out with your buddies all day long. Some of the men I've met are married, but many are not. Both are equally accepted.

It is the rainy season in Grenada. When I first arrived, the dry season was just ending and the Island was experiencing one of the worst droughts in recent memory. It was very brown and water was scarce. The dry season is definitely over! It has rained every day this week and nearly every day the week before. When it rains, it does not rain for long, maybe 15 minutes to an hour for a long shower. Sometimes it rains hard, and other times light. It seems to rain every night while I'm sleeping. Wednesday, we had a long hard rain from about 8am-11am. It was actually nice because it forced me to stay in that morning and there was a nice breeze. By 5pm, the hard court was dry. We had men's national team practice tonight and it went well. We continued our work on switching (position specialization), our audible system of play calling, and team defense. We also focused on individual defensive position footwork. We slowly incorporated this into team defensive play and then ran modified scrimmages toward the end of practice. The men continue to improve and are becoming very good. How good???? We don't know. We need a scrimmage. Next week we plan to have the Senior National team play the Junior national team. I am very excited for this. The Junior national team has nearly as much talent, but not the experience or the team play yet. It will be a great match and we are hopeful the local television station will come and televise it. This could make for great exposure.

Respect and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment