Grand Etan Rain Forest

Grand Etan Rain Forest

Men's National Team

Men's National Team
Men's 2010 National Volleyball Team

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

May 4, 2010 St. Andrews Secondary School


The morning started off beautiful here. It rained last night. I am now settling into a routine. This week, we start after lunch every day, except Friday, and will go until 8 or 8:30pm. That means I have mornings free. In the morning, I get up early to the sound of a rooster crowing (I'm already beginning to hate that rooster!) and update emails, work on my blog, eat breakfast, outline the days practice plan, then walk to the beach. It is approximately 1.25 miles to the beach....takes me about 20-25 minutes. I've been eating an incredible amount of fruit here. I found out eating a lot of fruit reduces my need for water. I'm starting to miss American food a bit. I've eaten way to much pig tail, pig snout, chicken bones, chicken toe nails (just kidding), and god knows what else. They make most food into a soup, or "broth" as it's referred here. That means you really can't see what you're eating. Everything is cooked on the bone. You want chicken soup...it will have the bone. How about a chicken burrito....take a big bite and you'll bite right in the chicken leg bone. How about fish soup, not only are the bones in the soup, but the head will probably be looking up at you while you eat!

Overall, the food is much better than home because everything is fresh. Anytime we want fruit, Nanan either goes to his garden and picks it or we go to a friend's house to get it. And I actually love Grenadian seasoning and they way they cook. Last night I ate Mutton (lamb) and it was delicious! My earlier comments are simply because I DO NOT lIKE PIG TAIL OR SNOUT!!!! I hope Nanan reads this :)

Anyway, we worked with another secondary school yesterday, St. Andrews ( I think) from St. George's. This was not an easy day. The girls chosen to come to our session were not athletic, not completely interested, and many looked like they had never played a sport before in their entire lives! It was a very difficult session because volleyball is a hard sport to play. We worked hard and improved their skills and had everyone smiling and having fun, so I guess won! Of course our session was outdoors, luckily at the Carenage. That means we had a net. Unfortunately, it must have been 100 degrees today! Man was it hot. I had to buy a hat today because I felt my brains were starting to cook. Practicing on cement for 5 hours takes its' toll on a body. whew!

The problem I'm learning is that the PE teachers are the ones that select who should attend our sessions (and the sessions where Nanan runs them when I am gone). Because most PE teachers don't know volleyball, they send the worst athletes, or those not playing any other sport. Nanan has an uphill battle to fight. There are tremendous athletes on this Island, we simply need to continue to get our sport exposure and get the best athletes interested in playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment