Grand Etan Rain Forest

Grand Etan Rain Forest

Men's National Team

Men's National Team
Men's 2010 National Volleyball Team

Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 5, 2010 Men's National Team and Fun Facts


The picture is of fishermen pulling in their net in Gouyave, the Fishing capital of Grenada. In the background you can see the boat that has the other end of the net.

In the evening we had training with the Men's National Team. I felt I needed to have a much more focused, intense practice. That does not always mean more running...I don't measure intense by sweat. We focused on doing the "little things perfect" as both my college and club teams can probably relate. We stressed technique again and explained the difference between an average pass (we can only set 1 or 2 options) compared to a perfect pass (we have all our options).

We had consequences for everything today and I practiced this team as I would an American team. I now know what to expect and am getting a better idea of what they can take. Their response was terrific and it was a very successful practice. I say successful because I feel our ball control is already improving, and we established a practice work ethic and 'tempo' tonight.

These are really terrific athletes! Incredible jumping ability and agility. Their willingness to dive on concrete to save a ball still amazes me. Our weaknesses: inconsistent hitting (they only want to hammer the ball...no shots); poor serve receive; inconsistent serving (and way to many top-servers); and inconsistent setting. Coach Nanan has asked that we implement a 3 person serve receive (they are currently using a "W" formation) and gradually begin introducing offensive transition and defensive systems. We will get to this possibly next week. We still need considerable work on ball control and technique. My philosophy has always been that we work on skills and ball handling/defense first and then enter team play. Team play comes quicker and it is very frustrating to me mid-season to have weaknesses that should have been corrected early.

Practice tonight went great! After practice, the team wanted to stay and played two scrimmage games to 25 on their own. I reffed and was proud. We were supposed to start at 5:30. Nanan and I arrived at 5:10. By 5:30, there were probably 13 athletes here. Just then, Nanan calls me into the office saying "Toddie, come here, quick!" I enter and find a bowl of fish soup and a Carib(beer) waiting for me. I'm a bit nervous but happy because I was starving. No eyes in the soup, but it had bones and fins...that is kind of weird to me. It was delicious and the Carib topped it off. Now we were ready for practice. Ah...Grenada :) We had 19 total attend practice.

During practice, Mr. Richard Simons, President of the Grenadian Volleyball Association, and Press Secretary to the Prime Minister, showed up. We talked a bit during and after practice and he seemed impressed. After practice, Nanan and I had a television interview at 8:30pm on the Grenadian Broadcast Network (GBN). The interview was live and went well. This was our third television interview so far. We are getting good exposure...which was a goal.

Fun Facts:
  • I am officially going rooster hunting tomorrow!
  • I miss Lexi, Liza, and Cole terribly
  • If you do not wash your dishes after eating, within the hour, they are covered by ants!
  • bananas and other fruits last about 1 day on the counter if you leave them out;
  • i have gotten tired of buying water so now I am boiling water on the stove;
  • actually i am starting to drink more of their tap water. The water in the Country is much nicer;
  • The showers are the same water temperature as the sea!
  • I know enjoy watching cricket but still think it takes too long;
  • I'm dying for a cheeseburger!!!
  • Caribs (the local beer) are their version of Gatorade :)
  • Most people use Taxis to get around. Taxis are typically Vans. They are crazy drivers!!!
  • To honk at someone is a way to say "Hello."
  • People in Grenada speak their mind and others do not seem to get offended, it is very open;
  • Grenadians yell at each other on the court; If you miss a serve, they will say "COME ON MON, MAKE YOUR SERVE!!!"
  • My limit is two Grenadians speaking together before I can no longer understand; the more together, the faster they speak and it is a 'slang' dialect
  • I love Grenada, it is truly a beautiful country and culture.
Respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment