Grand Etan Rain Forest

Grand Etan Rain Forest

Men's National Team

Men's National Team
Men's 2010 National Volleyball Team

Friday, May 28, 2010

Thursday May 27, 2010 Meeting, Beach, Women's national team

The picture is of Suzanne (Nanan's girlfriend), Nanan, and Adam holding a breadfruit from a tree growing in Adam's yard. In Grenada, when you're hungry, you go into your yard and pick something to eat. :)

Today we had a meeting at 9am with Mrs. Victor-Bruno to discuss my visit and to review my report and recommendation for volleyball in Grenada. What report???? I thought I was to submit this during my last week before departure. She is leaving on Ministry business for a week and will not return before I leave. Nanan informed me at about 3pm Wednesday that Mrs. Bruno wanted a rough draft of my "report and recommendations" for this meeting. What?????? Bless you Nanan.

No problem. Unfortunately we had practice from 3pm-8pm that day so that would not leave much time to prepare. Nanan let me work on the report during the early practice session and that helped a lot. I have two notebooks full of notes, now it is time to begin organizing. I have decided to write a strategic plan for volleyball in Grenada. I will separate into four parts:
  • Secondary Schools
  • National Teams
  • Club Volleyball
  • Grenada Volleyball Association
I will analyze each part, cite my findings, and then try and construct a workable plan for the continued development of volleyball. My challenge will be to keep it realistic. It must include actions that are reasonable and with long term benefit. This report will be submitted to the Ministry of Sports, the Grenadian Olympic Committee, and the International Olympic committee. Mrs. Bruno is already talking of a return trip next year to follow up...I must do a good job to make sure this happens. Nanan and I have been working very hard and I feel tremendous progress is being made. Both national teams are doing well and I am very proud of them and how far we have come in a short time. I wish I could be with them at their tournament. My focus for the development of volleyball in Grenada will be on the Club structure.

So the meeting went very well. Mrs. Bruno is an exceptional lady and a Get-it-Done type personality. I like and respect that. In the afternoon, Nanan gave me some time at the beach....thank you Father! (that is his phrase) It was great. I went for my normal swim and find I am becoming much stronger and my stamina has increased greatly. The rain brings out rain flies though and they are irritating! Pssstrgnt. Dang...still don't have the stroop.

I had conversation with Adidas and efforts are slowly progressing. In the evening, we had practice with the women's national team and are selecting the team. It is really an exciting night.

Practice started with our 3 person switching ball control drill. We gave them a goal of 20 consecutive rallys. We made it on our first try!!!! I am amazed, impressed, and proud of these wonderful ladies! We then mixed up teams and for the most part, scrimmaged the entire evening. It was good volleyball and crowds continue to grow and watch. My team lost twice to Nanan, but I feel he cheated on the score and I had to ask for a neutral scorekeeper!!! :) We are two-of-a-kind! We won the third set to redeem ourselves.

The roster is set and we have a very good team. Nanan said he feels the team is much more prepared and is already competing at a higher level than last year. Our strengths are becoming ball control and defense. We have very good outside hitters (Maggini and Metric), good middles (Jenny and Rechelle...who is becoming a stud!), a good young right side in Latisha or Alty or Tara, and good setting with Betty Ann and Nieve. We are not a powerful hitting team, but we are smart and have good 'gamers.' And as a coach, I would take a team like that into battle any day.

Observations:

  • My teeth seem whiter and I finally figured out why....my lips are sunburnt and make them look whiter!
  • The salty sea water makes me more buoyant. That is why I float better. And here I thought I was becoming a better swimmer!!!!
  • I drank water from the 'pipe' at the Carenage Wednesday and spent from 3am-4am in the bathroom that night!!!!
  • I must eat a pig tail and snout before i leave...did I really say that!?!?!?
  • I've named my rooster friend Colonel Sanders!
  • I'm marinating Mutton in the fridge to cook later today. I can't wait to bring my new cooking skills home!!!
  • The rum is strong here!!!!
  • I prefer Carib to gatorade.....And a note to my landlord....some of those empty Carib bottles lined on the shelf were there before i got here!!!!!!
It's Friday....tonight we Lime!!!

Respect and Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment